Monday, November 30, 2009

Big Tree Plantation



If you were to ask my girls, "What is the true meaning of Christmas?"  they would answer without thought, "Jesus' birthday."  But I know them better than that.  To my three, Christmas is really about opening presents, baking cookies, decorating the tree, and painting homemade Christmas ornaments. 
Sure, we read the Christmas story, attend Mass, and say over and over, "Jesus is the reason for the season!"  But there is much joy when we walk down the doll and Barbie aisles of Target.  If you could see into my children's hearts, you would understand that to them, Christmas is not only about the birth of Jesus- it's also about celebrating the birth of Jesus. 
Sometimes I feel like Jesus gets lost in the frenzy of the holiday season and I hope we are truly able to teach our girls the true meaning of Christmas.  In trying to see the innocense of the girls' excitement, I realized that I needto "come to the party and bring the kids!"  He is everywhere: in the lights, the songs, and the cards.  Sometimes we get caught up in all the trappings of Christmas only to discover that we need to join in the celebration- guilt-free! 
We will encounter the true meaning of Christmas, when we light the advent wreath, talk about the legend of the Christmas tree and how it represents a different Person of the Holy Trinity, talk about the legend of the candy cane, talk about why we place a star on top of our Christmas tree, and how angels are everywhere (especially our grandparents). 
My girls seem to hear better with their hands.  I can tell them something all day long, but if they get the chance to do something, then it is usually theirs for life.  Over the next few weeks, I hope to share with you our family traditions to help teach our girls the true meaning of Christmas. 
This past weekend, we packed up and headed just a couple miles down the road, and had fun watching my sister and her family pick out (and cut down!) their very own Christmas tree.  Of course I left my camera at my parents house for Thanksgiving, my cell phone is the best we have here at the Big Tree Plantation.  The girls were mesmorized with the "real" reindeer, sitting on Santa's lap in a dream treehouse, and drink the best hot chocolate ever as you were fascinated looking at the dream gingerbread house.  I can't wait to continue to make Christmas memories this year, as I will continue to gently prompt them to look beyond every song, every story, for the Best of All Stories.  Here we come, Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment