Friday, January 14, 2011

Air Smooches

Daddy was gone this week after he'd been home the last couple weeks for Christmas. We missed him lots.  Here's Ellie sending air smooches to Daddy.  We're a smooch-y bunch. 

Ellie.  You've gotta love her.  She'll make you laugh.  And cry.  And I am so thankful she's mine.  Just go ahead and say a prayer for me now.  And tomorrow.  Because she's Ellie.

I love my time alone with her driving to school.  She isn't afraid to ask me anything and we talk about a lot.  For a 6 year old.  Like recess, and kids in her class who go to red everyday (that's bad...), fires, daddy, she shares favorite books she's read.  And lots more, you name it.

In the beginning of the year, she rode the bus to and from school, but was riding for over 2 hours and 15 minutes a day.  She wasn't getting home until quarter til 5, and all she talked about was the big 5th graders that got in trouble that got to sit up front with her.  Needless to say, I take/pick her up now.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.

When she started school, she had a difficult time.  A really hard time.  She would cry for hours at night, crying herself to sleep, praying for me to keep her home with me and her sisters.  She visited the nurse's office several times a week, and they quickly figured her "home" sickness out, giving her little sympathy. 

Each morning I sent her off to school, we would kiss each other's hand and she would hesitantly walk into school, looking back at me with those big brown eyes, several times.  I would ask myself, what was she thinking right now?  Does she get hugs from her teacher?  Is she smiling lots at school?  We never dreamed she would have these difficulties, because she is such the social butterfly and always wanting to go, go, go!  

She slowly adapted to the long day and looked forward to going to school each day.  We still exchange kisses on our hands to get each other through the day, and she still glances back and smiles at me.  With a little wave and sometimes she would even blow me a kiss as the traffic guard would shoo her on. 

The last couple times I've noticed she hesitated to kiss me in the van before she hopped out, and would be looking outside to make sure no one was passing by when she kissed me.  This morning, she looked at me and pecked me quickly on the cheek and hopped out.  And looked back maybe once.  You might think this is a good thing, but I'm struggling with it.  No more little girl.  I'll just have to sneak kisses in her sleep.  Whenever I can.  Because her kisses are the best.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment