Thursday, January 28, 2010

Our First Scare!

The other morning in the rush of getting Erika and Emily off to school, I casually ask: "Where's Sadie?"  because usually she is right under my feet.  The girls started looking and couldn't find her anywhere, and she doesn't always come by name, so the search continued.  Needless to say, the bus was coming in 10 minutes and the girls hadn't finished eating.  I sent Ellie to go look so the other two wouldn't miss the bus, and that's when we discovered she figured out the steps!  The upstairs is total hazard zone, and would be Sadie's haven!  So many little pieces and things to chew on!  Ellie came down with this wrapper in her hand and said, "Mom, I think Sadie ate chocolate."  All I remember the vet telling me at our first visit was that chocolate was toxic and to always have peroxide available to give them to make them vomit in case they did eat it.  Did I buy peroxide?  No, but silly me bought cute little treats, a warm fuzzy coat for her, a soft bed, but no "life-saving" peroxide.  Panic settled in as I looked at Sadie with her big brown eyes and now a brown mustache and beard.  After talking to the vet, he thought since it was such a small amount she would probably be fine.  If anything, the sugar would make her hyper.  I sat back in relief as I watched her run in circles in the living room and realized how easy these mistakes can happen and how careful we're going to have to be with the two most dangerous things for dogs are two of my favorite things for my girls, chocolate and gum.  Never a dull moment with Sadie around!  (And just think, we used to say that about Ellie!  It's like having another kid!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment